About the Applicant
Imagination is a global creative business established in 1968.
We believe in transforming business through creativity, recognising that the creative requirements of brand communications have shifted from ‘message’ ideas to ‘experience’ ideas. We have made a conscious effort to re-think the product we provide for our clients, not by changing what we do, but by expanding what we do. The result is work that is more relevant to clients and more relevant to consumers, more often.
Telstra (Brand) / Imagination (Agency)
Telstra Sydney New Year’s Eve 2014 Sponsorship
As the official partner for Sydney New Year’s Eve (SNYE), Telstra, The Australian telecommunications leader, sought to:
- Create a signature experience that showcases Telstra’s capabilities and immerses people everywhere in the fun and excitement of SNYE.
- Generate both customer and public advocacy and, most of all, set out to reposition Telstra as more than just a telecommunications company.
- Achieve advocacy and consideration through genuine brand engagement with a targeted Gen X&Y NYE audience across Australia and the world.
Cutting-edge 360° video footage from Sydney New Year’s Eve.
The app allowed users to watch jaw-dropping 360° films of stunt pilots flying over Sydney Harbour, live bands performing, and the world’s first drone footage captured from inside the fireworks.
Further to this, Telstra gave away 2,000 Google Cardboard viewers; creating an immersive virtual reality experience that put people at the very heart of the action.
A live news feed with useful information about venues that are filling, public service announcements and unique content, like celebrity shout outs and video messages.
Interactive real-time maps showing the best Sydney Harbour vantage points for the event and everything users needed to know about each viewing place.
A 4-hour live show was streamed for those wanting the full Sydney Harbour celebratory experience, which could only be viewed via Live Stream on Telstra the Youtube Channel and through the app.
- 50 free midnight text messages, which allowed users to preload their NYE messages to friends and have Telstra send them for free at 12am, no matter what network the user was on, so they could fully enjoy their special midnight moment - admiring the fireworks, kissing their better halves or having a special toast with friends and family.
Through customer research we knew that Gen X&Y audiences were looking for easily accessible bite-sized chunks of content to complement their NYE no matter where they happened to be on the night.
Australia provides a global benchmark for all NYE events. As the first major city in the public eye to host celebrations, there is a very high level of expectation for perfection, with every element under close scrutiny.
- Achieved 60,000 downloads (increase from 53,801 in 2013), with no media spend behind it.
- Included world's first 360° drone footage of fireworks.
- Australia’s first Google Cardboard campaign for virtual reality experience of 360° content.
- Close to 167,000 midnight messages were sent through the app.
- Users spent close to 1 million minutes interacting with the app.
- Net Promoter Score (NPS - advocacy rating) app survey shows overall NPS at +4 up from -7.3 in 2013.
- 67 pieces of Telstra branded editorial coverage generated from the app and the drones video footage.
- 96% positive sentiment across the coverage.
- 166,670 views (up from 6,884 from previous years).
- Engagement time 13.5 minutes (up 3.5 fold from 4:30 in 2013).
- #TelstraNYE hashtag trended in Australia, New Zealand, the US and Russia.
- 3rd busiest day on record ever in terms of Telstra mentions on social.
- Twitter reach of 18 million with 950,000 organic impressions.