About the Applicant
Founded in 2001, Slice of Lime is a User Experience Design agency with offices in Boulder and Denver. By aligning user-centered design with client business goals, Slice of Lime creates amazingly effective experiences for web apps, mobile apps, and connected devices.
Slice of Lime
- First off, we want the work we produce to be amazing for the people who interact with it.
- We want our clients to have an amazing experience working with us. We’re paid to bring our clients through a process that by its very nature will lead us into unknown directions. This can be uncomfortable for clients and we ensure that clients feel safe, collaborative, and on the same page with us as we guide them through that process.
- We want our experiences WITHIN Slice of Lime to be amazing. That doesn’t just apply to things like VIP access the Green Room at Conan O’Brien or hiking fourteeners together. It’s mostly about growing. We spend a lot of time and money on encouraging everyone to learn at conferences, via webinars and meetups, etc. We also speak at conferences, run Meet Up groups, and write content about UX. Everyone gets $2500 a year to spend on learning.
WE LEAVE ROOM TO EXPLORE
A lot is changing in our industry all the time, especially in focus areas we have around the Internet of Things and Healthcare. Four years ago, we noticed that while we were encouraging learning new things, there was rarely enough time to do that learning in between client work. This led to adopting a form of Google’s 20% time. This allows us to explore all kinds of ideas and has led to things like:
Nübi. A connected toy that we build in-house to help kids learn science, technology, engineering, and math. Using Arduino parts and a 3D printer, we made our idea a reality and won the DevelopHer contest, receiving the award at the Chicago Toy & Game Fair last year. You can check it out here: http://www.meetnubi.com. Gizmodo wrote an article on it here: http://toyland.gizmodo.com/
this-sweet-connected-toy-is- designed-to-teach-kids-how- 1662134444
- UX Notes. This is an app we’re almost finished with to help us streamline our research. It allows someone to collect data and, in real time, synthesize that data to show common themes during research.
- Techstars Boulder
- Nike+ Accelerator
- R/GA Accelerator
- Boomtown Boulder
- Disney Accelerator
- What’s not working
- What we’re unsure of
- What’s working great
- Where we’ve delivered an “amazing experience”
The key is that EVERYONE contributes and that we’re honest. Things can be as small as the need to fix a window to questions around company values.